The firm is located just across the river from Illinois, less than an hour’s drive from Tennessee and less than three hours from St. Louis, Nashville and Memphis. We have attorneys licensed in Kentucky, Illinois and Tennessee with clients in all three states. Our office is located in the former Peoples National Bank building constructed in 1911. It is an example of the Beaux-Arts architecture popular in America in the 20th century, featuring a triangular pediment, Corinthian columns, a bracketed and dentilled cornice and bronze entrance doors. The building was purchased by the firm in 1979 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
|We are a full-service, civil law firm representing clients across all of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Southern Illinois. We are recognized as an AV-rated firm by Martindale-Hubbell; a preeminent regional firm managing sophisticated transactions, challenging litigation, and complex estate and business matters on a regular basis. Results; principles; continuity: These goals form the backbone of our law firm’s culture and are commitments that have served our clients well since 1929. Each attorney is devoted to service, excellence, and integrity. These are not antiquated values; they define our firm’s mission.
Our twelve actively practicing attorneys include some of the best and most experienced in their fields of regular practice. The firm is proud to count among its members six Martindale-Hubbell AV rated attorneys, one fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel.
The firm also enjoys a stable, long-serving staff that includes nine legal assistants, eight general paralegals, two registered nurse paralegals and three administrative support staff. At Whitlow, Roberts, Houston & Straub, every member of the team is committed to professional service, professional excellence, and professional integrity.
|Whitlow, Roberts, Houston & Straub expanded in December 2015 with additional office space and conference rooms to accommodate the growth of its maritime practice.
Maritime clients include: Pine Bluff Sand & Gravel, Pine Bluff Materials, Ingram Barge Company, Wepfer Marine, Crounse Corporation and Travelers.
|We are proud of our long history and welcome the opportunity to share it with you in detail. In short, we trace our roots back to Thomas S. Waller and Thomas W. Threlkeld, who opened a new practice in Paducah just prior to the onset of the Great Depression in 1929. Through perseverance and ingenuity, they not only survived, but began to thrive. In 1937, they were joined by Henry O. Whitlow, who founded much of the culture and tradition that define the firm today.
|From Thomas S. Waller (1890-1973) to Henry O. Whitlow (1914-2005) to R. Christion Hutson, the firm has enjoyed an 85-year, overlapping succession of leadership. In that time, our ranks have included two presidents of the Kentucky Bar Association, five members of the Board of Governors of the KBA, a U.S. District Judge, a Kentucky Court of Appeals Judge, three Fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, and a Special Justice of the Supreme Court of Kentucky.
The firm has grown to 12 actively practicing attorneys, representing the widest range of talent, experience and service in the firm’s history. The firm has also structured its leadership so as to enhance day-to-day practice skills while developing future leaders. Four partners serve as practice section leaders and mentors: Gary B. Houston (trust and estates, business, real estate and general transactions), C. Thomas Miller (maritime litigation and transactions), R. Christion Hutson (workers compensation), and Jason R. Coltharp (liability litigation, including medical malpractice and auto/general liability defense).
|All human resource/personnel functions, financial, technology and facilities management are under the direction of the firm’s Office Administrator, Vickie Roper. Mrs. Roper joined the firm in October, 1998. She obtained her Bachelor’s from Hanover College in 1977.|